What color is it?
Each hex character represents 4 bits, so a 6 character (8 bits/channel) hex value has 24 bits. I decided to use as much of this as I could. Here's how it broke down:
- 3 bits for Month. Seeing as that gives me 0-7, I dropped the least significant bit (basically dividing in half, rounding down...)
- 5 bits for Day, which gives me 0-31. I'm cool with that.
- 4 bits for hour, which gives me 0-15. Not enough space to do 24 hours, so colors get repeated twice a day.
- 6 bits for Minutes, giving me 0-63
- 6 bits for Seconds, giving me 0-63.
After implementing this, David stepped in and helped out a bit with some stuff. I'm not too much of an HTML/CSS wizard (I love bootstrap, though, which is what I do for everywhere I need to make stuff look pretty), so he mucked about with the stuff I didn't feel like mucking with. (and fixing my stupid mistakes, like pulling day of the week instead of day of the month...)
You can see the site live here (edit 2018-04-23: Sorry, I let the original domain lapse. It's still up on github, though.), and see the github repo here.
I've had it produce some really pretty colors... Enjoy!